[T3] Intro to list

Hey all, my name is Jim and I'm new to the type3 list.

I was on a type1 list for several years, but this spring my beloved beetle was stolen so
I unsubed.  I was planning just to get a newer car, but it appears there is a 69
Squareback in Madison (not too far from Chicago) in decent shape so I thought I'd give it
a shot.  I'm going to try to see it over a weekend in July.

I've had two beetles in the past (with FI so I'm not too afraid of the Type3 FI) and I
know the generalities of what to look for when buying a VW, but is there anything
specific to the type3s?  I know the fuel pumps are VERY expensive for FI cars, but I'm
guessing you can't test that and it either works or does not.  Are there any places rust
hides?

I'm hoping it turns out to be a decent car, the owner says it needs interior work and a
paint job, but I actually would prefer a car that didn't look so hot since both of my
previous VWs were stolen.  Ideally, theifs would be more likely to pass up a squareback
in need of a paint job.

Anyway, I thought I'd introduce myself and maybe I'll have a squareback in the coming
weeks instead of a more anonymous car.  I did help my friend install a new steering wheel
on his fastback this weekend.

Thanks, Jim

=====
"i've got it and it's not worth having..."
http://www.machobeagle.com