Re: [T3] Question on Perfect 65 notch

On 2 Jul 2001, at 8:58, Scott Taylor wrote:

> Jim wrote:

> >>Huh? I don't see ANY "R" engine prefix listed in my microfilm, BUT
> now that I look at my "Without Guesswork" I see that it IS in there.
> I don't recall anyone mentioning this before, and it looks like it
> would be a major omission. Can anyone else verify this?
> At any rate, it looks like VW didn't start any of the other letter
> engine prefixes until MY '66, so this 65 probably doesn't have it.
> Who can tell us more about the R prefix?<<
>
> There is a note about this in the parts list I have in the engine
> production survey section. For engine numbers 225340 through 1100000
> (8/63 - 7/65) there is this note next to the engine numbers:
>
> for 1.5 liter/54 b.h.p. up to July 1965
> also with identification letter "R"
> for 1.5 liter/54b.h.p. -
> M 249 up to July 1965
> also with identification letter "N"
>
> I've always been a little confused about what this means. My guess has
> been that the letter codes identify the detuned 1500S engines that were
> meant to allow use of lower octane fuel. My 65 has an N series engine
> and has a tag attached to the case that reads "M-249 90 OKTAN".

So your 65 engine has a serial # with an N prefix that is in the 65
range? Strange that the microfilm would leave that off. I'll have to
check my earlier parts book.

> Yes, I know that M249 is the automatic transmission option beginning in
> 1968. No, my 65 isn't an automatic.

The M-code listing from the microfilm lists M240 as the low
compression modification. VW was known to have recycled M-
codes in later years, so it is possible that M240 was a typo and
should have been M249 in the early years.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054