Re: [T3] Question on Perfect 65 notch

Jim wrote:
>>Huh? I don't see ANY "R" engine prefix listed in my microfilm, BUT
now that I look at my "Without Guesswork" I see that it IS in there.
I don't recall anyone mentioning this before, and it looks like it
would be a major omission. Can anyone else verify this?
At any rate, it looks like VW didn't start any of the other letter
engine prefixes until MY '66, so this 65 probably doesn't have it.
Who can tell us more about the R prefix?<<

There is a note about this in the parts list I have in the engine
production survey section. For engine numbers 225340 through 1100000
(8/63 - 7/65) there is this note next to the engine numbers:

for 1.5 liter/54 b.h.p. up to July 1965
also with identification letter "R"
for 1.5 liter/54b.h.p. -
M 249 up to July 1965
also with identification letter "N"

I've always been a little confused about what this means. My guess has
been that the letter codes identify the detuned 1500S engines that were
meant to allow use of lower octane fuel. My 65 has an N series engine
and has a tag attached to the case that reads "M-249 90 OKTAN".

Yes, I know that M249 is the automatic transmission option beginning in
1968. No, my 65 isn't an automatic.

Scott
62 343, 65 361