Re: [T3] IDLE VARIES , AIRVALVE, EFI

On 31 Jan 2001, at 15:41, Martinez, Leon wrote:

> - have any of you had the problem of intermitantly open air valves
>  causing varying idles ?

I used to think mine was sticky, but once I learned how to test it it
was clear that it was not. Test it by pulling the inlet hose off the
air cleaner and putting your thumb over the end of the hose. If the
valve is open the idle speed will drop; if it is closed the idle
speed won't change. This is the aux. air regulator (AAR) and it
should be open except when the engine is warm.

> - do you know why my freind's car shuts down when disconnecting
>   the two wire airvalve (mine does not shut down and has one wire) with
>   the first EFI setup (1968) . The throttle switch airvalve and brain is
>   different.?

None of the AARs were 2 wire, but the 68-9 cars have a 2 wire temp
sensor that screws into the case and holds down the front flange of
the AAR. This is the sensor that I thought would stop the engine if
you disconnected it, but others on the list disagreed. In 70, this
sensor was moved to the intake air distributor.

Pitch in!  Send your pledge of support!  mailto:support@vwtype3.org