[T3] GENERATOR BRUSHES BURNING

My generator brushes keep burning and burning, I
even had to stock a box of brushes, cleaned the contacts,
still burning. Yesterday I found the problem. The story:

The first time I noticed my brushes were worn was last
month near Christmas, I decided to change points because
they were no longer touching the contacts on the armature
also the generator light would blink or stay on .
The armature was blackened so I cleaned it with light
sandpaper. Two weeks ago my brushes were worn down
again and  a spot on the armature was once again
blackened. Yesterday I decided to perform some more
meticuluos surgery, Took the generator apart, cleaned
between the copper contacts from copper powder and
carbon from the brushes; sanded the contacts with very
fine sandpaper , then polished with rubbing compound
until I can see myself and finally cleaned the contacts
with electrical contact cleaner spray to remove all my
work's residue.

I was proud of myself to perform this
proceedure as my dad instructed me . He has done this
before in the 50's when generators were common and this
proceedure made the brushes last many times longer than
just changing them. One must make sure their are no
deep gouges present and epecially no sharp corners
at the edge of every contact; good rubbing with rubbing
compound takes care of ths last problem.

 I was proud of myself until my dad
pointed out that there was a flat spot on the armature
contacts; this was the spot that would get blackened
very quickly. My brushes bobbed up and down and I never
noticed it because I was not looking for it. I must  now
either  get it lathed or machined or buy a rebuilt one.
I was told that the cause of the flat spot was a short
with contamination in the form of brush powder or other
stuff shorting two contacts. This in turn would caused
sparking which I saw alot.; eventially the copper would
burn off showing as a flat spot. This flat spot even when
clean will make the brushes float, this floating again
would cause the brushes to  almost touch the contacts
and in turn cause arcing. This arcing would burn away
the brushes and some copper. This would leave copper
pits and carbon deposits on the contacts which I did have.
This is the moral of the story make sure to perform
maintenance and inspection to the copper contacts
when replacing bushes, It should be absolutly clean
on the surface and shiney (polish it, it's like micro polishing),
you should be able to see the dark insulation bettween the
the contacts. Clean the insulation area with a sharp tool
but do not gouge the insulation out. doing so will
leave a neat place for conductive contamination to
accumulate  and short out contacts. Leave no sharp edges
between insulators because these may even grind down
brushes in one day. Do not forget to polish with tooth paste
or rubbing compound to remove and soften all scratches
and sharp edges.
Last, clean your work with some kind of cleaner. Do not
forget to test your contacts for shorts with a resistance
meter. I think the proceedure is in the Bently manual,
I am not sure . This will make the brushes last long time.

LEON MARTINEZ
martinezl@ftscpac.navy.mil

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO
SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA