Re: [T3] Type 36-265 Variant Panel Van

Simon Glen wrote:

> Dear Per Lindgren,
>
> Thank you very much for the details and picture of your father's 1964 Type 3
> panel van.  It is a really good picture.  And, typical of Type 3 Variant panel
> vans and like the basic no frills "A" model Type 3s, it had the small bullet
> front indicator lights, no side parking lights, no side waistline trim, no
> bumper bar overriders and had the smaller tail lights.  And I suppose, no
> clock on the dash.  My 1968 model even had only a sun visor for the driver.
> Do you have any other photos of your father's Type 3 panel van?

I have at least two other detail photo's, one where they replaced the clutch
(engine on ground) and one where my father once found a bird's nest next to the
airfilter. The last photo is a partial engine shot only, but I have not scanned
these two yet, and are having some trouble with my computer these days (d@mned
Win98) so it may take a few days before I can get these finished.

> But, the VW "Variant II" is in fact a totally different car.  I think you must
> be refering to the Variant "A" and Variant "L".  The VW Variant II is a much
> later Brazilian development of the Type 3.  It was made in Brazil from
> November1977 to December 1981.

No, the regular T36 Variant carried two designations, they were referred as the
"I" and "II" so the dealer network would know which of the two Variants they were
talking about. The "II" had 1500 cc engine, the swingaxles, diagonal tires and
higher load capacity, where the "I" was pretty much technically identical to the
Notch- and Fastback. As mentioned over, when I get the computer up and running
100% again, I will let the owners manual into the scanner and show you the data
sheet.

PerL
73 Variant L