Re: [T3] Type 36-265 Variant Panel Van

Dave Hall wrote:

> > I am very interested in the Type 3 panel van otherwise known as the
> > "Variant van" or the "Stadtlieferwagen".
>
> One of the Scandinavian listees has one - Per L? or Karl-Olav maybe.  I
> think it is a later model though I'm not certain.

No, mine is a L with windows... Karl-Olov's too. But it is me you think of,
or rather my father, he had a 64 panel from '69 to '77. He gave it away
then, it was a totally rusted out. I was 3 1/2 years at the time, so I
couldnt complain. The car was a regular Variant with rear seats, and when
he bought the car he had windows installed. You can see a picture here,
before the panels was replaced with windows:
http://perlindgren.tripod.com/daddys.jpg I cant remember the VIN but I've
checked it before and it is positively a 64. I dont know the type code
though.

I have also seen a 70's model with windows, but without rear seat and full
length flush side interior panels that ran the entire length of the car
(not including doors though). This is typical of Norwegian tax laws, you
can get large wagons (Passat, Audi A6, Mercedes etc.) registered as
delivery vans, without rear seat. This particular Variant could have been a
Norwegian conversion. And it had Toby E's color btw. Last time I saw it was
in '95, but could still be around, as it was in the town where I did the
army service.

Simon Glen wrote:

> Of course, all Type 3 panel vans right up until production ceased in July
>
> 1973 were fitted with VW Option M-263 which consists of heavy duty rear
> torsion bars, shock absorbers and swing axles with camber limiting 'Z'
> bar
> instead of the normal CV-joint rear suspension found on ordinary "A" and
> "L"
> Variants from 1969 models.

This model was known as the Variant II and had swingaxles right up to the
end, the basic technical datas for this model is included in my 73 owners
manual. This car was the work car, made to be the "little brother" of the
Transporter. My car is of course the Variant I and is the passenger car
model (An "L") with carpets etc.

There is also an Australian panel in Greg's scrap book. Maybe the same as
the one you mention, Simon?
http://vwtype3.org/scrapbook/list.cgi/squ.953703581.12486.html

Lastly, I've been thinking of reliving my fathers late 64 panel and
replacing the windows on my car with aluminium panels cut in shape using
the window glasses as template. They have to be the same thickness as the
glass, painted in the car's color (L54D Marina blue) and be held in by the
rubber mouldings. What do you think?

PerL
73 Variant L