Re: [T3] Help stop the clicking!

On 28 Jan 2001, at 19:47, Hanson,Todd wrote:

> I replaced my turn signal/emergency lights relay with a new one (NOS)
> because the gauge lights were very faint. I was very careful to follow the
> wiring diagram *and* I replaced only one wire at a time. Everything now
> works fine (interior gauge lights and exterior lights), except that the
> relay now "clicks" when I press the brake pedal.

Cool! My 68 did this exact same thing; is yours a 67-69? I suggest
that you pull out the relay and pry the plastic cap off of it. Take a
good look at the bottom of the PC board and look for wires that
aren't well soldered to the board. If everything is okay there, then
it is likely that one of the aluminum electrolytic capacitors in
there has dryed out. If you're up to this you can try checking and
replacing them.

If yours is earlier than 69, then you need to make sure that the
mounting screw is tight enough to give a good ground. VW introduced a
separate ground wire in 69.

> On my wiring diagram, I noticed that the brake pedal switch (attached to the
> master cylinder) shares a connector at the fuse panel with the relay. This
> obviously has something to do with the problem.

I think the problem is that the sudden draw from the brake lights
puts a sudden dip in the system voltage that the relay sees; this
gives it a kind of half trigger.

I frankly can't remember whether I ever managed to fix this problem
in my 68, but that was a long time ago....