Re: [T3] Warning,Brasilia Alt. Conversion

Yes, Greg.  What you saw was indeed a VW Brasilia which is a Brazilian
Type102.  It was a two-door or four-door hatchback sedan built on a version
of the Brazilian Karmann-Ghia floorpan (Type 143) with ball-joint front
axle, front discs, rear swing axles and a 1584cc motor available with either
one or two carburettors (and also available for alcohol fuel in Brazil).  It
was exported to many other countries in Latin America,
the Caribbean, the Middle East, the Philippines and even to Portugal in
Europe. The two-door model was also CKD-assembled in Mexico.  The four-door
version was also CKD-assembled in Nigeria but renamed there as the "Igala".
But the Brasilia was never marketed in South Africa.  During its production
run between 1976 and 1982, around 1,063,963 Brasilias were built.

Some have confused the Brasilia with the VW 412 because they have a nose
style treatment which is similar.  This is the so-called "Leiding nose"
(named after the former VW CEO), a style which was also used on several
other VW vehicles: the Brazilian VW SP-1 and SP-2, the Brazilian 1973-1979
VW Type 3s and the Brazilian VW Variant II.  But, despite the similar nose
styling, the VW Brasilia and the VW 412 could not be more different in terms
of body construction, engine, suspension, size, etc, etc.

For details and copious photos of all the Brazilian models as well as the
411 and 412 please see my book "Volkswagens of the World" published in
1999.  See the publishers web site: <veloce.co.uk.vwworld.htm>.

Kind regards,
Simon Glen
Toowoomba, Australia.