RE: Thanks So Much!

Oh yeh golly gee wizz...your welcome!

The head temp sensor I bought from Bug Pack at my
nearest vw parts store. You can also get one
from one of the various free catalogs that are
advertized in Hot Vw's and VW trends etc...
or you can find several in the internet by going
to your search engine and type "vw head temperature
gauge" . They are all the same thing made by vdo.
The price varies greatly from 48 bucks to over a
hundred dollars. mine cost me 71 dollars.

I installed it under the dash on a little especially
made bracket that is sold separately. It is just over the
fuse holder. I mounted the temp sensor on the top
front bolt on the # 3 cylinder. I wrote several papers
about it last december. If you cannot find it on
the type 3 list just ask me to send you it and I
will look for it on my hard drive. Got temps also.
The original instructions tell you to put it under
the spark plug this location sucks but it is all
in my "short stories". Can't find just ask.

The fuel ratio meter is from autocraft I beleive
and you can also find it on the internet. Summet
racing catalog sells it. It cost about 70 bucks
for sensor and meter, analog or digital , if you
have problems finding it I will send you info,
just ask. I do not have it installed in this car but
did in another. One guy had an adjustment installed
on the dash of his bus with efi. Those busses use
similar head temp sensor. The adjustment pot is connected
in paralell to the head sensor. I can do this adjustment
feature in theory to almost 100 % assurance that it will
work. I work in electronics and this is very simple to
do (the adjustment feature) if you get your meter
before mine i can help you talk the fuel adjustment.
the only thing the meter does is give you an indication
of proper fuel mixture when performing any adjustment
and would'nt it be cool dash adjustable? I can help
when the time comes. The sensor threaded mount
must be installed on a exhaust pipe.

I mentioned a washer, right well when you buy a new sensor,
it comes with an aluminum alloy washer to get it away from the
head, since it is thick and has two more surfaces for heat to
travel to it acts as a very weak insulator. Aluminum dissipates
heat better than heat because of its conductive properties
and density. Different metal such as steel or copper have
different heat transfer properties sice they are more denser.
Using these will make the sensor not as hot and tell the
"brain" that the head is colder than it really is but is still
hot so more fuel is sent to the injectors.

When the engine is cold the air temp sensor disconnected does
seem to make a cold engine to get over rich, stumble and rpm
to go down. Try it hot when in idle and the engine is running
slower tha it should. This used to happen to me all the time.
why don't you adjust the pressure sensor when the engine is
acting up, then see how it works when cold. Are you sure your
pressure sensor is good and adjustable. I thought I had one
once but found that it was never satisfactory it caused your
symptoms and more . It was the older type that is smaller with
adjustment provisions sticking out and no flat diaphram plate
inside. Replaced it and the engine changed its ways. This is
after fixing the many problems my EFI had. I have written
really long mails about how I fixed those problems on
previous e-mails. Just ask and I will send you them if you
cannot find them. You cannot screw up the sensor by adjustment
as long as the lock washer is loose, that is if you have
the old type.

I have a feeling you are trying to adjust bad injectors out.
I did this before and found all four injectors were flakey.
I replaced them. To test these it is easier if your car has that
accelerator efi pump feature, like a carburator. I also wrote
about the testing of these. Just ask if you cannot find the
e-mails. Things to have : good working injectors, good working
pressure sensor and good temp sensors. Once you get all this
fixed, it will be as smooth as glass. Don't forgrt about
the distributor health not only the adjustment, I also wrote
about my problem and the fix. This latter one affected my
performance greatly. If you can't find it I wil send it to
you. Check your injectors before all else. They caused many
problems for many people.

I hope I am helping you. If you have a specific question
I will look it up for you and give you a definitive answer.

LEON MARTINEZ
martinezl@ftscpac.navy.mil

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO
SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA