RE: [T3] Heat exchanger elimination (was: Used Books & Exhaust)

Jim Adney wrote:

With the car standing still you would get some extra heat rising up
from hot heat exchangers, or J-tubes, but I don't think this will add
much real heat load to the engine when it matters (when you're
moving and the engine is working hard.)

I have to disagree with Jim on this one (I can't believe I actually said
that 8^)) sort of.  I agree that with engine "generates" the most heat when
it is moving and under load (such as climbing a grade), but it also has the
most help from airflow to remove that heat.  I did a bunch of testing in
Arizona a few years ago to look at undercar temperatures.   A typical test
location such as a frame crossmember near the exhaust would have a steady
state temperature of 210 F under normal driving (flat, 55 mph), a steady
state temperature of 330 F under heavy load driving (climbing a grade at 35
mph), and a short duration spike in temperature of 450 F immediately after
the car was stopped and still idling.

This is part of the reason why stop and go traffic is so hard on cars.

Later,
John Jaranson
'71 FI Auto Fasty (Jane)
http://hometown.aol.com/jaransonT3