RE: [T3] Heat exchanger elimination (was: Used Books & Exhaust)

On 23 Jan 2001, at 8:21, Erkson, Toby wrote:

> Now, let's say the engine is really hot and we want to insure that is gets
> the most cooling air it can.  The best thing to do is keep the heaters off.
> Since no air is being used to heat the cabin, all of it will be used across
> the engine.

If you ever have a chance to take apart a type 3 heat exchanger
you will see that there is a diverter valve that dumps the heated air
to the outside when you shut off the air to the cabin. I agree that
this opening seems small compared to the large tube that runs to
the front, but that large tube is also about 16' long and much of it is
smaller in diameter, with corners, so I don't really think the overall
airflow impedances in the 2 paths are very much different.

This would mean that the only difference between heater off and
heater on is the question of where the hot air gets dumped. There
may be a small effect from the dumped hot air washing back over
the engine, but since the hot parts of the engine are wrapped in a
jacket of cool air pulled in from somewhere else, I don't think this
would be significant.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org