Re: [T3] Dist. Drive Help...Please?

On 19 Jan 2001, at 20:56, Greg Banfill wrote:

> I just started reading this thread and I thought I'd point out that
> the drive on the dist will only go into the drive on the motor one
> way. It is off set to one side. The only way to turn the dist. 180
> degrees is by pulling the dist. completely out, driving the pin out of
> the shaft and turning the "gear"

You can certainly turn the dist. drive dog around by 180 degrees, but
this is not really the way that I would advise that such a problem be
fixed. The drive dog is intended to be installed in a particular
orientation. If you turn it around, then the drive gear must also be
installed "backwards" to make up for it.

Over the years, I have certainly come across a couple of distributors
which had been rotated like this, and in the beginning it was not
clear to me which way they needed to be installed to get everything
to come out right, but it's still best to get all the parts in there
correctly so that you don't create problems for yourself later on
down the road.

The most common problem starts with improper assembly of the drive
gear in the engine, either because the person doing it does not
realize that it matters which way it is put in, or because he/she is
more familiar with Beetles and installs it in the Beetle position.

Pitch in!  Send your pledge of support!  mailto:support@vwtype3.org