RE:GEX=reliable

Just to add fuel to the fire...

The engine currently installed in our Fastback is a GEX rebuild, and while
it still isn't completely broken in yet, I haven't had any trouble with
it.  Runs fine, no weird noises, and what I was able to check about the
engine without tearing it down looks fine.  I've heard a lot of bad reports
about GEX engines over the years, and I was a bit leery when I saw their
sticker on this one when I went to look at it, but decided to take a
chance.  Maybe I've gotten lucky; maybe they were doing a better job when
this one was built.

This engine was bought from them by someone else about five years ago.  The
PO installed it into his '73 Square, and after the iniitial breakin, took
it on a test run and drove about 50 miles before he wrapped the front of
the car around a tree.  The engine was pulled and stored (with all holes
plugged) until I came along in April and bought it and a bunch of other
stuff for $200.  I figured that I could take a chance, and if it turned out
to be a piece of dookie I still didn't get screwed too bad.  Also got
several late T3 taillights, a few front indicators, some NOS Hella
headlight rings, an extra Bently manual, and an in-box Bosch-rebuilt
starter.  He'd gotten out of VW's and gone into Volvos (ack!).

YMMV, of course.  With the general reputation that GEX has, if I were
looking at buying a rebuilt engine right off the floor (or catalog or
whatever) I'd steer clear of them.  My situation was ... different. =)