Re: [T3] Wheel Paint

Russ Wolfe wrote:

> Eventually they found that they were putting too much paint on the
> back side of the wheels. If the customer got the brakes hot (drove with the
> emergency brake on) the paint would soften,  and the lug bolts would come
> loose. We ended up using paint remover to remove the paint from the inside
> of all the wheels on 1968 Type -1's.
> So just a word of warning, don't get carried away with painting the inside
> of the wheel.

I've experienced this on 2 VWs, my 73 and my friends 64 Bug. The wheels got a
coat of paint from a paint shop, was installed and off we went. THe problem
rose after doing a few km's, when the paint on the tapered bolt surface started
to work off, and the bolts were coming loose.

My friend was very glad that I drove his bug, he had invested about $15.000 in
it when I drove the car and wheel (left rear) came loose, on it's maiden
journey even!! Since I had a previous experience I instantly recognized the
noise and started to slow down, the Bug was doing 90 kmh when this happened.

PerL
73 Variant L

Pitch in!  Send your pledge of support!  mailto:support@vwtype3.org