RE: [T3] Good Performance and Miles to spare???

First, this is a list solely for the T3.  The T1 engine is a bit different
externally compared to the T3.  Brian Fye can point you to a performance T1
web site that will give you more pertinent info.

As for an oil cooler, don't use the tube-n-fin style, use a Mesa!  If you do
a search on my web site for 'oil cooler' you'll see the stuff I used.  And
the only reason you need to provide extra cooling is if your engine is
creating too much heat and that can be controlled by lowering your
compression!  Make sure you have a thermostat in the loop so the oil can be
properly warmed up/cooled.

The external filter is a damn good idea and the only air-cooled VW that
shouldn't have one after an engine rebuild would be a concors (sp?) trailer
queen.

How is the engine to be used?  Drag strip only?  Freeway flyer?  Auto-x?  If
it's going to be for racing then you'll want an extra oil sump (especially
for auto-x).  A stock oil pump works well for a 2.0L so reconsider getting a
HD unit.

Since you'll have tall intake runners the 44mm dual Dells will be good.
Balancing and blueprinting the engine will add life and horsepower to the
engine -- it's worth the cost!  You will want a larger exhaust system as
well and if you can get your ports enlarged it will allow the engine to
breathe better and give you more power.  I would recommend you talk shop
with an experienced engine builder and read the technical notes in the Gene
Berg catalog if you haven't already.

The number of miles varies on how the engine is used!  Racing takes more out
of an engine than long Sunday drives in the country.  If you can't get a
straight answer from anyone then at least you can know they're not lying to
you :)
   Toby Erkson
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/