Re: Wiper Arms

From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>

> > If I remember right, the pinch bolt arms were only sold
> > as replacements for the 6 and 8mm set screw style. They never came
> > from the factory  with them.
>
> After I filed the flats on my 68 shafts, I think I got a recall
> notice that was related to this problem. I declined whatever they
> offered as a fix, but I have always assumed that the recall was to
> give me a free pair of the later pinch type arms.
>
> Do you remember any such recall, and can you tell me what it
> included?
>
> The one recall I DID accept was one which installed some little
> spring clips in the seat belt buckles, which kept the belt from
> loosening up while riding. Remember those?  ;-)

Yes, at that time, they would give you a free pair of wiper arms, if you
b-tched about it. I too filed a lot of flats on wiper shafts. This seemed to
cure the problem. I also did not use a screw driver to tighten them, I
always used a 6mm socket and 1/4" drive ratchet.
Yes, I put a lot of those clips in the seat belts. That was kind of
standard.

Russ Wolfe
http://www.classicvw.org/