Re: [T3] Dead Injectors Puzzler

On 7 Jan 2001, at 18:33, Mark Fuhriman wrote:

> I checked again for bad grounds, broken wires, dirty trigger contacts,
> etc.  I went out for another road test, and after about an hour the
> car stopped again, this time at a stop sign.  Resistances of temp
> sensors was within spec, and the primary and secondary resistances in
> the pressure sensor were also within spec, which told me the windings
> in it were OK.  Fuel pump also OK.  Car restarted again after about 15
> minutes, and I got the car home.

Is this with the new head temp sensor?

> Next day the car started again without problems and I let it idle for
> a while in the garage.  Later I put a spare "B" brain in.  Car started
> again and drove fine around the neighborhood.  After the drive I kept
> it idling on the driveway.  After around 30 minutes I heard a change
> in idle and the car was running rougher.  I measured spark in all 4
> with the inductive timing light.  By unplugging injectors one at a
> time I determined that #1 and #3 are not firing.

You can also test this by just pulling the plug wires at the dist.
This is lots easier to get to, plus it does not stress the fragile FI
wiring harness.

> How are #1 and #3 injectors related electrically?  I'm hoping tt this
> points to a clue to my old intermittent missing/stalling/no-start
> problem.

There's no connection that I know of. They don't fire at the same
time and they're not triggered by the same trigger point. Muir
mentions taking a straight pin to the female connector pins to the
brain and bending them slightly to assure better contact. Try this.

There ARE 2 12V wires supplying power to the FI brain. It's POSSIBLE
that 1 of these is intermittent and that the supply is set up in such
a way that this causes 1 & 3 to crap out. Check them out. Next time
the car dies, check for 12V on both wires back under the pressure
sensor. If one is bad, but the wires look good, check the other ends
of the wires at the main power relay on the left side under the back
seat.

Sorry, this is a really wild guess. I really don't think a bad wire
here is likely to create your symptoms, but I'm not sure.

Russ???