RE: [T3] Won't Start Puzzler

On 4 Jan 2001, at 13:52, Mark Fuhriman wrote:

> I replaced that cyl head temp sensor and headed out for a test drive
> in my '69 fastback.  After about 2 miles, it happened again.  I got a
> quick jerk and loss of power.  Downshifting to inrease rpm and to see
> if the car would jump back to life did not help.  The idiot lights
> didn't come on until after I was pulled over to the side of the road
> and nearly stopped.

This is really wierd, but I suppose you have some choice words of
your own for it. ;-)

If you get any warning of this problem approaching, then I suggest
that you clip a voltmeter between the output side of the fuel pump
relay and ground. The voltage should read zero with the engine
stopped and should read a steady 12V with the engine running. If you
just turn the key ON, the voltage should rise and then disappear
about 1 second later.

Leave this voltmeter in place and go for another test drive. If the
voltage is still there when the engine falters then the relay is
okay. If you see the voltage falling below 12V anytime the engine is
turning over, then you need a new relay.

This is a long shot, but you've already checked all the easy things.
(You DID pull the trigger points and clean them with a clean piece of
paper, didn't you?)