[T3] Sunroof Rust Woes

I've had a few rust bubbles in the roof (rear corner) of my 64 sunroof notch
since I got it. I gave these bubbles a bit of treatment a few months back,
just to slow things a bit.

Anyway, last night I started doing a proper job on it. I cut out the
affected area (triangle, 200x300), to reveal the cause of the problem. The
sunroof drain tube had become blocked. Any water in the sunroof module (SM)
could now slosh around in there.
The seal between the roof and the SM looks like some expanded mastic type
stuff. Definitely water retaining, anyway. The rust  bubbles visible on the
roof were exactly in line with this mastic.

When I weld in a new roof piece, should this be spotted to the SM? Can I use
conventional brushable (non porous) seam sealer on this joint? Do I need to
fit some gasket/ seal between the roof and the SM? Perhaps it would be
worthwhile giving the inside of the existing seal a dose of wax sealer to
prevent any further water ingress?

I'm hoping someone has been here before and can give some hints & advice.

Thanks for your time,

Gary Miller
Essex, UK.