[T3] Clocks

Hi there,
            Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, but is there a way one can test the clock from a T3 without it being in the car? We have a 12 volt 66 Fastback, I have at least one 12V clock spare and about half a dozen 6V clocks, all not sure if they work or not. The one in the car certainly does not.
 My question is, if the 12V clock is not workable, can I get one of the 6V clocks to go on a 12V system. I would think it would need to be slowed down, with some type of resister?
 Any help much appreciated.

Rex Trye
66 Fast back
74 Kombi