[T3] Dying On Downhill

<< > Okay, here's a "mechanic's quiz" for you: One of my first rebuilds
 > came down with the symptom of continually loosening valves. The case
 > had case savers and the studs weren't loosening. The heads, valves
 > and rockers were all genuine VW OEM and were not at fault.
 >
 > What did I do wrong?  8-( >>
Here's a guess; you failed to break in the cam correctly and it went flat on
you. I've never had it happen to me but I have seen it before.

              Theoretically, valves are set on the base circle of the
camshaft, so the cam lobes going flat should have no effect on valve
setting.Only wear on the lifter face or wear on the base circle part of the
camshaft should affect that.Possibly he forgot the head nut washers and the
nuts etched thier way slowly into the soft alluminum of the heads, causing
the heads to slacken off?

Marc
1967 Fastback 1600
New Mexico