Re: [T3] Dying on downhills

On 1 Jan 2001, at 0:01, Steve Bradley wrote:

> Come to think of it, you are probably right here too. The valves
> wouldn't get tight by the heads getting loose. They would tighten-up
> if the valves wore-in after a valve job though. Indeed, if the studs
> did stretch and the valves wore-in, the two effects would cancel,
> wouldn't they?

Yeah, this is a good way to look at it: Loosening studs will make the
valves loosen (if anything) while valve break-in will make them
tighten up.

Okay, here's a "mechanic's quiz" for you: One of my first rebuilds
came down with the symptom of continually loosening valves. The case
had case savers and the studs weren't loosening. The heads, valves
and rockers were all genuine VW OEM and were not at fault.

What did I do wrong?  8-(

Pitch in!  Send your pledge of support!  mailto:support@vwtype3.org