[T3] Fastback VS MGB GT

The MGB GT looks nearly identicle to the VW Fastback.  Is there a story
here? or is it just a coincidence?  I looked at one today with my dad who
was considering purchasing one.  The lines are incredibly similar.  I know
the MG was from the UK, but could there be some sort of connection?  Oh yea,
and the MGB I looked at was a 1970 if that matters.