Re: [T3] Dash Repair

Armor All used to have a dash pad replacement warranty. Some of the
requirements were the product hast to be applied to the dash regularly on a
new car. Most of today's dash pads are made different and will not crack,
they have to. Airbags explode and rear apart dashes. If a dash is old and
brittle those sharp pieces fly at you at 200miles an hour. I don't think
Armor All really works. They were just playing on the fact of they way the
new dashes are made. The speculation is -- they want you to use this
"stuff". Then the dash don't crack, the people thinks Armor All worked,
well...guess what the dash is made so it won't crack. They no longer promote
that warranty. There is a way to keep the vinyl soft, make it out of
materials that don't break down under heat. A Chemist may come up with
something for the old dashes but not yet.

I agree should have listed dash recovering. Many dash pads can be recovered
simply with your local upholstery shop, but the T3 dash can't. The problem
is there are two many curves and angles where regular vinyl will not
stretch. Vacuform vinyl will, but why fight with it when the aftermarket
dash pads are under $100? I guess if someone wants to spend the money
($300-$400) they can go to Just Dashes. In the past I've told my some of my
clients, in their particular circumstance the only option is Just dashes. I
been in this business since 1985 I have never seen their work even when the
clients are asked to call me when the dash comes back (if they use their
service).

Bob
http://thesamba.com/vw/shows/swbugin8/16.jpg

AZBob=> how to keep the dash from expanding under heat the
=> problem will be solved.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but it seems like there ought to be a way,
maybe through a regular maintenance routine, to keep the vinyl  soft enough
that it can stretch and contract without damage. Has anyone tried, say,
regular applications of vegetable oil? Or is this simply another example,
like the hinge covers, of materials that simply can't last this long?

Just for the list's info, there are people out there who rebuild and recover
molded vinyl dashes for a living (do you do this too, Bob?). This doesn't
come up here very often because it's so expensive, but if you really want it
you can get it. Check Hemming's for suppliers like Just Dashes.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 Big Ghia