RE: [T3] Dash Repair

At 5:16 PM -0500 2/22/01, Jaranson, John (J.W.) wrote:

>UV light certainly gets through the glass, especially on cars as old as
>ours.  New car glass has some UV blocking built into it, but we still use

	I think that the truth lies somewhere in the middle -- that typical
glass attenuates ultraviolet much more than visible, but that the
attenuation is not infinite.  What fraction of the ultraviolet makes it
through typical glass at the thickness of a typical windshield?  A percent?
One part in a million?  Also, "ultraviolet" just means higher energy than
visible; you can bet that the transmittivity of glass, as with anything
else, will be a function of the frequency of the incident light.

	There is the tale of Feynman watching the Trinity explosion through
the window of his truck...

-Greg

Pitch in!  Send your pledge of support!  mailto:support@vwtype3.org