Re: [T3] Factory air.

Well guys,
My 1970 Fastback has the air conditoning.  It looks like it is factory
installed.  There is only a small hole in the cooling system for the belt to
come through.  Since my 1600cc engine has two solex carbs, the air filters
are the crome low profile round ones.  The compressor is mounted on the
right side above the muffler and not in the way of any air filters.  I have
to remove the belt in winter because I think the compressor still robs power
even when shut off.  ??  There is a radiator mounted up front.  Then inside
there is a whole system of vents mounted directly under the dash.  It seems
like an extension of the dash.  You only see 4 little vents.  The whole
system works pretty good.  I have to put R-12 in it, which is kinda
expensive.  I plan on taking my compressor apart to replace any gaskets this
spring.   But.. it is a power robber.  It has to be shut off at a red light.
So when its really hot out you better be moving.  but at least it works.
Seeing my VW is an automatic, there is no power anyways.  What a
combination.

I have scanned the whole AC system from some magazine.  it shows the layout
of the hoses and wiring diagram, etc.  So if anyone wants it.. I will send
it to you.

There ya go.
Ralph, Atlantic City, NJ

---------------
> Dear Jim,
>
> I have a sales brochure printed in Germany and published by Volkswagen AG
and
> dated 6/72 entitled "VWs mit Klima-Anlage".  It is written in three
languages:
> German, English, French and Spanish.  It spends a page on the
air-conditioning
> option for each of the 1200/1300 Beetle, the 1302/Cabriolet Beetle, the
Karmann
> Ghia, the Type 3 1600, the 411, the Type 2 Microbus (Station Wagon in USA)
and
> the Type 2 Westfalia.  For each there is a photo of the air-conditioned
car's
> dashboard and a full description including placement of the condensor,
vents and
> compressor.
>
> On the second last page it states:  "The VW air conditioners are
manufactured by
> VPC, a subsidiary company of Volkswagen of America Inc.  Their
headquarters are
> in Fort Worth in Texas.  ... The VW air conditioners are installed in the
> Volkswagen factory."
>
> This brochure in those four different languages was intended for the
> non-American market; i.e. places like Germany, France, Spain and in Africa
and
> the Middle East.  Indeed, I obtained my brochure from the VW distributor
in
> Nigeria in West Africa where dealers at the time were urging customers to
> specify air conditioning for their VWs if they picked them up tax-free in
Europe
> prior to shipping them home overseas.  In other words, the air
conditioning was
> installed by Volkswagen in their German factories.
>
> I currently have a 1992 VW T3 Transporter (Type 25 Vanagon) which has air
> conditioning in it but this was installed by the dealer here in
Ausstralia.