Re: [T3] Door questions

> I've got a "71 notch back wich i am restoring curently.
> the doors have "old"  doorhandles (with lock under the handle) and i like
> know if this is original, i thougt that from 68 the others were used (with
> the lock integrated)

All notches I have seen that are '68 and up have had the newer lock intragel
handles. Sounds like somebody has possibly changed doors for the older look.
Which vent windows are in it? Big black round knob ones or the old chrome
handles?

> I would also like to know when the door hinge with 2 screws  were used
(mine
> has 3 screws) and if you can exchange those hinges

Now you are getting to one of the other unique to notches thing. When VW
came out with the fasty, they switched the hinges around to allow for
replacement of the hinge half that wore. Plus all replacement doors were now
made to the new style of hinge which is identified by a 2 bolt hinge.

  Now it gets more interesting. The factory didn't change the door pillars
on the notch to the later style. Instead they made an adapter hinge half
that you used for all notches and pre '66 SBs. I just hung an nos '67 door,
which is the last year for the separate door look, on my notch and had to
make those adapter hinges. But I made them before I found out that VW had
done that!!

  So you could have genuine early doors that were installed "normally" or
replacement doors that have the adapter hinges on them. Or a car that had
those locks as standard equipment for your market. That is why I asked about
the vent window handles. That could give a clue to the history of your car.
By the way, what market was your car made for?

Tom