RE: [T3] 2.3L ? Talking about the T3 case, not T4...

Last question first:  Yeah, it'll cost, a lot.  The more quality parts and
time (spin balancing, porting, etc.) put into it the more you'll pay, but
it'll last longer and produce more reliable power.  For a new performance
engine figure about $3000 to start.  The more parts you can supply, like
carbs, the price will drop some.  The more parts your builder has to supply,
modify (like adding an oil filter)/balance/blue-print, the more it's gonna
cost you.

The more compression an engine runs, the hotter it will run.  So, for a
cooler engine reduce the compression...and lose some hp because the more
compression you have the more hp you will produce.  Don't ya just hate
that?!  I have 8:1 compression so I produce more heat and to compensate I
have my oil pre-cooler.  But I had my engine built knowing this.  If I
didn't want to worry about extra heat I would've agreed upon a lower
compression with my builder that still gives me power but without
sacrificing engine life due to extra heat.

FYI:  My last engine died due to heat stroke (8:1 compression as well).
Many of the internal parts were heat damaged (cam mostly).  This is why I am
adamant about secondary oil cooling!

Reliability?  I don't think it's about reliability but tunability.  A
properly set up engine should be reliable, right?  Because a built engine
isn't stock, duh, it requires more time to tune so it's running correctly.
The cam, distributor and carbs make this difficult because a built engine's
power is gonna live in a certain rpm range.  Thus, where the power lives,
the engine will rock!  But when the engine is in the other rpm range(s),
it's gonna be unhappy and be less than satisfying.  For example, a drag
racer is gonna have all the power come in the high rpm range, say
5000-8000rpm.  The engine will produce its best power there and just scream,
but below that rpm range idle will be rough and driving will be lethargic
and bumpy (with carbs, that is).  My engine is set up for mid-rpm range,
roughly 2500-4500rpm.  Going from idle to mid-range there's a flat spot, the
cam and carb jettings balking at each other :)  Highway cruising is just
fine since that's in my mid-range!  Beyond that she will move but with the
stock (restrictive!) exhaust it's slow (but probably still faster than a
stocker :)

Lifespan?  Yeah, shorter.  How you drive does affect engine life, measured
in miles or, with racing, in hours or laps :)  Unfortunately, I don't have
great records for the mileage on my previous 2.0, but it did make it to a
round trip to Texas at the end of a heat-spell!  There's a minimum of 5500
miles of life right there, I know that!

Now, all of my experience is with carbs.  Personally, I much prefer fuel
injection and I would like to get an after-market fuel injection system
(engine management system) on of these days.  FI is great for improved fuel
economy and power extraction, and eliminates many of the pitfalls of a
carbed intake system.  Such a system alone, I firmly believe, would increase
the life of an engine.

   Toby Erkson
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/

Pitch in!  Send your pledge of support!  mailto:support@vwtype3.org