[T3] Generator Voltage Regulator

When I got back from my trip to Japan, my sister
who borrowed my car told me that the car was left
at a parking lot and did not start, appearantly
the battery was dead. Upon investigation I found
that the voltage regulator kicked the bucket, so
I drove my car home after recharging my battery
with another car. In Mexico I found a regulator for
24 bucks but it surprized me because it was genuine
Bosch and it was good for cars up to 1992. Did Mexican
cars and busses have generators until then? This
regulator is a solid state type, epoxy filled and with
very large semiconductors pressed into a heatsink; the
bottom of the regulator has a small box that looks
like a circuit breaker. It looks odd but space age
to me. It is stamped 14 volts 30 amp .
Have any of you ever seen one of these or used
one? This seems like a perfect direct replacement.
It works very well with no mechanical movement and
may take many hits before replacement. My original
BOSCH regulator seemed to be the one that came with
the car because it had a tag with a date code of
1968 and at the bottom it had a very old fasioned
gold plated diode. It did it's job well for a
long time until this weekend.

LEON MARTINEZ
martinezl@ftscpac.navy.mil

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO