Re: [T3] upright in a notch

On 20 Feb 2001, at 10:40, liberty cone wrote:

> i found
> a lowered , low mile notchback that had an engine
> fire.traded my choptop bug for it minus the motor. the
> motor i took out was a built 1835cc,put to gether by
> Doug Berg, and it only had 200 miles on it .the
> problem is , i know some of you will hate to hear
> this, but the notch didnt have a motor and the metal
> around the rear compart ment was warped from the
> original owners trying to put out the carb fire with a
> garden hose. in addition the motor has dual webers.so
> i cut around were the carbs sit and installed my type
> 1 motor. i like how it looks and it gives me more room
> to try things like turbo &maybe super charged.
> im looking to see if other people have done this and
> to see how many of you now hate me .

We don't hate you, but you need to study the differences in how
the type 1 and type 3 engines get their cooling air. Just installed as
it now is, your nice Berg engine will rather quickly overheat in the
notch body.

The type 3 provides ducted cooling air to the type 3 engine, while
the bug has a seal around the waist of the engine to keep the
engine from drawing in hot air from below to "cool" itself. With a but
engine in a type 3 body, your engine will just recirculate the warm
air over and over again. Bad news for you and your engine.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054