Re: [T3] Splash Shield???

On 20 Feb 2001, at 22:00, Wayne Collins wrote:

> Yes.  I haven't pulled anything apart earlier than 1970.  However, on
> the ones I have they were there.  Some of them just fell out and some
> of them were held in tight.  They sit just above the fuse box near the
> exit from the body of the heater channel up to the windscreen.  Just
> behind (front is front) the plastic moulded air hose connection that
> leads the heated air to the dash.  I'll check my '69 Notch tomorrow
> and see if I can see one there. But I know I've pulled them off '71s
> and '72s.  I'll also check a friends '70 to see if it's the same in
> hers.

Interesting, I have worked on lots of these, but only seen 2, both on
73s. One of these was loose, like you said, and ready to fall out.

> As for putting them in, I've just "wiggled" them into place before the
> fuse box goes in.  And I've seen them in a creamy colour and the clear
> ones.

Hmmm..., before the fuse box is in place. Does the fuse box then
hold it there? The S cross section has one squared off end; is that
the top or the bottom? There is a bit of a taper to the S from one
side to the other; does the small side face the door pillar?

My main problem is that I haven't been able to figure out exactly
how/where these were supposed to fit.

Russ, do you remember these? Is there any chance that they were
part of a recall of some kind and only installed in cars with certain
problems, such as windshield water leaks?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054