Re: liscense plate bracket

>>Did you have to drill the holes for the rears? They
don't seem to display the same uniformity that the fronts do. I
suspect that the dealers ended up drilling them. I wonder why VW did
it that way. <<

It must have had to do with the wide variety of license plate shapes in
different countries. A large rectangular German rear plate would have
needed different holes than a US standard plate bracket. A rear bracket,
if used at all, would have been an item specific to the destination
market.
    My 65 Squareback was brought over to the US by the original owner
through the tourist delivery program. The front bracket was the wider
German-plate type and there was no rear bracket. The original California
plates were drilled to fit the bracket in front, and drilled and screwed
directly into the sheet metal at the rear.

Scott
62 343, 65 361