Re: [T3] Transmission Poping outa 4th

----- Original Message -----
Subject: [T3] Transmission Poping outa 4th

> i was told that this basicly means new tranny, what about adjustments to
> the tranny ? are there any ? i have tried the shifter no luck there, if i
> just rest my hand on the stick , it stays in gear np but if i let off and
> give it gas it will pop right out anyone have any ideas

After rebuilding hundreds of VW transmissions in my career, this is caused
by a worn shift fork/sliding gear. Usually both. The biggest cause of this
is a driver that drives with his hand on the gear shift lever. The
Transmission is designed to be shifted into gear, and then let the linkage
relax. I can usually tell by looking at the wear on the shift forks, what
kind of habits the driver has, and what type of driving the car has had. A
worn 4th gear means a highway car, that the driver has the habit. A worn
third gear is a town car that gets driven in third gear a lot.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/

Pitch in!  Send your pledge of support!  mailto:support@vwtype3.org