Re:Signal Problems

On 7 Feb 2001, at 21:14, Marc Bona wrote:

> I have a 1967 with what I think is a 6 or 7 prong
> black plastic covered relay.All the wiring seems
> intact according to my diagram, i've cleaned the
> contacts on the signal light switch and tightened
> down the emergency flasher switch which was loose
> and I noticed when it was loose, it would cause the
> hazzards not to work unless I wiggled it. I've had
> the tailights out and traced the wires with an ohm
> meter to no avail. Thanks guys, I will try cleaning
> the contacts in the relay, but how do I get the cover
> off? Does it come off like I think? With a screwdriver
> and in several pieces? Looks permanently fastened.

IIRC, your lights work in TS mode just fine, but the hazards only
work on one side, whether the ignition is ON or OFF. Please
confirm this.

If the TS works both ways, then the wiring to the lights is fine and
the TS switch is okay.

When you pull out the hazard switch, this is supposed to energize
the flasher AND connect to BOTH sides of lights. There should be
an input wire on the switch and a LHS and RHS output wire. With
the switch pulled out all three of these should be connected
together. If not, there is a problem inside the switch.

The interior flashing lights are operated by a separate relay contact
inside the flasher box. I think the cover of the box can be gently
spread and lifted intact straight up off the base. The cover has
some catches that grab around the PC board on the base; if you
spread the cover skirt gently you should be able to clear those
catches and then lift the cover off. The plastic plate that all the
connection tabs come out of stays in place while you lift the cover.

Don't file the contacts; just draw a clean strip of paper thru there.

I have also seen a number of problems with this era of flasher due
to lack of continuity thru rivited connections between parts inside
them. This can be fixed with some good flux and a small soldering
iron, but you have to be careful not to melt something important.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054