Re: [T3] Type 36-265 Variant Panel Van

At 10:12 PM 1/31/01 -0600, Jim Adney wrote:
>On 31 Jan 2001, at 18:50, Keith Park wrote:
> > what really blew ME away, was crouching down to look under a 1997
> > Mexican Beetle at a show here in NY and seeing a swing axle
> > setup...  why would they keep such an outdated inferior setup so
> > long??
>
>Because it is more rugged. Probably had a king pin front axle, too.

While someone already said that they've got balljoint front ends, I wanted
to throw another $0.02 bit in here -- there's been this progression in
frontend designs used on the T2, from king-and-linkpin and drum brakes, to
balljoint and drum brakes, to balljoint with power disc
brakes.  Apparently, they shifted the baywindow T2 production down to
Brazil a few years ago, and revised the front end again, this time to
king-and-linkpin with power disc brakes... weird.

I wonder if the parts would fit an early split-windshield bus...