Re: [T3] Mexican motor and questions

In a message dated 12/29/01 4:07:25 PM Central Standard Time, jezzina@ctc.net
writes:

<< Subj:     [T3] Mexican motor and questions
 Date:  12/29/01 4:07:25 PM Central Standard Time
 From:  jezzina@ctc.net (B. Mitchell)
 To:    type3@vwtype3.org (type3)

 So now that I officially don't trust the GEX motor that is in my square I am
 thinking of pulling the new Mexican motor from my wrecked Singlecab and
 putting it in the square.

 Does any one know where I can get:
 - a new or rebuilt oil cooler?
 - the thermostat set up with linkage

 I had thought of making a few performance up grades  and was wondering if
 they were even worth doing.
 To start with I will describe what and how the square is driven.  I mostly
 drive it on the high way and through back country roads. I of course like to
 drive as fast as I can, both on the highway and on the windy -up and down
 country roads(much fun). It will be bolted to a stickshift tranny which I am
 thinking of having rebuilt also.   It will have dual carbs on it, stock
 Solexes.

 -Oil filter-  The motor is already a long block. Does that rule out having
 the full flow in/out holes drilled in the case,  What about the kind that is
 on the pump cover?

 -Ratio rockers- Are they worth buying? Its said they add HP . I have no
 experience with these.

 -Header exhaust- I don't like headers because of the problem with the heat
 hook up. I know I can run a hose but I don't like the way it looks or
 functions. I prefer a set up like on the stock exhaust or the berg headers.
 Does any one have experience with the Berg header? Does it match up well?  I
 have a nos stock exhaust I was gonna put on , would that cancel out the
 increase in HP from the ratio rocker if I have those on?

 Thanks in advance
 Bryan

I checked  with my hand this morning and found that the Mexican case is
already
tapped for either upright (beetle) or horizontal (type 3) operation. The oil
cooler is also
identical for upright (beetle) or horizontal (type 3) operation.

The only difference is that the upright engine has a gizmo part that mounts
the oil cooler in an upright position. The horizontal engine does not use
this gizmo part.and thus mounts the oil cooler horizontally. There are three
nuts to remove.from the upright oil cooler. Then you will note that the oil
coolers - upright and horizontal - are identical. There is an oil sender
switch that needs to remain in position on the horizontal engine, so you will
need to remove it from your square and install it on your
Mexican engine in the same place. There is nothing unique about the
thermostat, and it has nothing to do with the conversion.

You will need the horizontal oil filler, which you can remove from your
square and install on your Mexican engine. Also, there's "block-off plate,
oil filler neck" that costs
$0.95 from RMMW. This goes over the oil filler holes left over from the
upright position. Seems to me like I paid about $3.95 for one at the local
FLAPS complete with a gasket.

Voila! You now have horizontal, type 3 engine. The Mexicans are pretty smart
in making a case tapped with both sets of holes for upright and horizontal
operation.
I have just such a setup in my 1971 bus, except I went the other way from
horizontal to upright.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But I just talked myself out of a proposed
$50 bill,
and I can do no more than pay you for my advise. 8)

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com