Re: [T3] Type 3 Convertibles (was FI hstory)

>>I wonder if Chevy's introduction of the Corvair in 1960 was part of
the reason that VWoA never imported the T34 into the US. By the
time the T34 got going, the Corvair was doing quite well.
Anyone who is familiar with both cars will see a resemblance
between them. I wonder if Ghia did any of the design work on the
Corvair....<<

Ghia didn't have anything to do with the design of the Corvair, but the
Corvair was very influential on European car design in the early 60s.
Ghia's Type 34 design definitely uses the Corvair for inspiration, but
BMW, Hillman, and especially NSU also made cars that used the basic
Corvair elements of a boxy shape, pronounced high beltline, and large
glass area. The Type 34 also has many details that are similar to the
1961 Plymouth, probably due to the fact that Ghia was still a design
consultant to Chrysler at the time both cars were developed. A lot has
been written about Chrysler designer Virgil Exner's influence on the
Type 1 Karmann Ghia design via his close relationship with Ghia in the
50s, so it follows.

Speaking of design influence, I would say that BMW must have been
looking closely at the Type 34 when developing the 1600/2002 series.
There are a lot of similarites in proportion  and the rear treatment and
taillights are too close to be coincidental.

Scott
62 1500 KG
65 1500S Squareback Sedan
01 Golf GL