RE: [T3] FI hstory

While at my local auto parts store yesterday, to my surprise, I was told
that in 1957 Chevy Corvette was supplied with fuel injection. Follow this
link for more info.
http://actions.com/corvette/57.html

Peter Legault
1973 SB

On 28 Dec 2001, at 14:16, Daniel Baum wrote:

> I have seen it claimed on this list that the Type 3 was the first
> production car to have fuel injection. This doesn't seem to be true.
>
> Looking through the 1962 Observer's Book of Automobiles, there are a
> couple of Maseratis, several Mercedes (220 SE, 300 SE) and the Peugeot
> 404, which all had FI in 1962.

I believe the correct claim is that type 3s were the first car available
with mass-produced electronic FI. The electronic part eliminates
most of the predecessors, because most earlier examples were
mechanical. I THINK there were a few electric versions out there
earlier, but they were in VERY limited production. This may include
some Corvettes.

I think all the cars you mention above used the Bosch mechanical
injection system which is essentially a modified Diesel injection
pump. These cars were REAL fuel injection, as in direct injection
(high pressure timed injection directly into the combustion
chamber.) This kind of FI is still rare.

> This book also has very early (1961) publicity pictures of the
> Notchback and Type 34, and claims that the 1500 convertible was in
> production. It must have been cancelled very late in the day(?).

The early convertible prototypes have been discussed here often.
There are others here who know much more about them than I do,
but I think it boils down to there being only 2 known examples, and
they are both in the VW museum.
-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org