RE: [T3] Overheating!

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Ok, your whitish and slightly burned is making me wonder if I'm diagnosing
my plugs look correctly.  What does a rich running cars plug look like?

-----Original Message-----
From: phil [mailto:squarepeg67@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2001 12:57 PM
To: type3list
Subject: RE: [T3] Overheating!

Thanks for the insight guys. I went home and pulled my
plugs first thing. They were whitish and slighty burnt
looking. Uh-oh... too lean. I moved my distributor
back a few degrees because it was a little too far
advanced (I wish we could use a degree wheel on our
pulleys). I also richened up the carbs about 1/2 a
turn on the mixture screws. All is good.
I let it run for a while and took it for a drive on
the freeway to check it out. It stayed nice and cool
(yes!) but there was a god-awful burning smell choking
my eyes. Yes-choking my eyes.
I pulled back into the garage, muttering. I opened the
door, flicked the fan on and jacked up the rear. The
insulation wrapped around the right heater box was
touching the head and smoldering up a storm. Mmmmm...
nothing like the smell of burning burlap and tar.
Thanks again!