Re: [T3] FI history

The type III was the first car with electronic fuel injection. The first car
with mechanical fuel injection was the Mercedes 300 SL (The Gullwing Coupe)
in '53 or '54 (1954 I think)

As far as the convertibles go, if I remember correctly, they built 3 nearly
production ready 'verts in a notchback body style. They were planning a full
production run, but then decided that they didn't have the structural
integrity that they needed and scrapped the idea at the last minute :(

Keith Dean was building a reproduction about 10 years ago using a type 1 top
and rear window regulators, but I don't know if he ever finished it. It was
in Hot VW's in an unfinished state and the pictures were amazingly cool!

Later and greater, Kelly Pitt
'69 Fasty AT
'66 Beetle
'59 Beetle