Re: [T3] Spark Plug Hole Repair

On 26 Dec 2001, at 20:12, Fuhriman, Mark wrote:

> My neighbor's VW engine recently blew the #3 spark plug out of the
> head.  He has no tools, so I told him I may be able to help this
> weekend.  Is the best repair here to remove the head and take it to
> the shop for a Helicoil insert?  Any good quick 'n dirty solutions?

The best thing to do is to remove the engine and then the head and
have a helicoil installed. I know mechanics who can do this with
the engine in the car, but it's tough, and I'd hate to have to try it.

With the head off, you have the assurance that you really got it in
there straight, that you don't have extra length of helicoil sticking
inside or outside of the SP thread, and that you didn't drop the
helicoil tang into the cylinder when you broke it off.

I really don't like the solid inserts.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org