Re: [T3] T3 Ghia rubber

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Hi all,

Steven is quite right.

Here's how I am tackling the problem.

My car had no rubber at all when I bought it. I put a repro seal in the rear
trunk, which I bought from ISP West on eBay. They have recently shamelessly
put up the price from $35 to $55. I think you can use a Type 14 Ghia front
trunk seal instead. Maybe Steven can correct me on this if I am wrong.

The Type 34 front trunk seal is the same as the Type 14 seal, I am told, but
9 inches longer. You can use two of them and splice 9 inches on the end.
Revolks say they can order a specially long seal, and I assume that KGP&R
can too. I haven't yet asked about the price.

There is a German called Ralf who has all kinds of interesting bits of
rubber that he sells on eBay. I have just bought a rear lock seal and the
inner (both) and outer (right hand side only up to now) seals for the front
indicators from him. The only problem is that you need to know German to
understand what he is selling. Kind of cuts down competition on the bidding
though.

For the doors I am experimenting with universal rubber which is available
for $3 per meter at rubber shops. You can see some of my results so far at
http://photos.yahoo.com/dbaum0000. Some of these seals are available here
and there - among others from the above Ralf -  but they are extraordinarily
expensive. I thought that before I pay several hundred $$$ for a few
miserable bits of rubber I might try the kludge first.

I am more satisfied with the door than the roof/window seal so far, but it
is all experimental and I might find a better way to do it. I have been
offered the original metal channels that the seals went in, and I will most
likely try these on the passenger side and see which works best. Even so,
the roof/window seal that I improvised _does_ seal, and looks reasonable
from the inside and out. It just doesn't look like the original seal did.

The universal stuff works really well for the doors and I see no reason to
use anything else, given the price.

Daniel Baum

> JoeMcG=> how available are the rubber
> => components for these cars?
> => Does anyone manufacture aftermarket
> => window and door seals?
>
> Almost all the rubber seals are available -- sometimes. We have a few guys
> in the club who reproduce, but their runs are short and infrequent, as you
> might expect given that there are only a handful of cars being worked at
any
> particular time. When you can get them, many seals are expensive, too, of
> course.
>
> => Will seals from other types of VWs
> => work?
>
> There are a very few that are common to other Typ 3s -- the pan seal, side
> markers, front-end stuff, engine lid, like that. A few can be made by
> modifying Typ 1 Ghia seals -- decklids, doors, a couple others. Otherwise
> everything is unique to the 34s. Some people make do and get along OK with
> improvised rubber, but it's a kludge.
>
> Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
> '66 Big Ghia

> Search old messages on the Web!  Visit http://www.vwtype3.org/list/