[T3] So long, 1965 Type 34

Today, I spent the day with a sawzall and chopped up a 1965 Type 34. Salvaged
the
engine, transmission, two doors, hood, decklid, glass (other than windshield,
which was busted), starter, front end, and miscellaneous interior panels and
parts.

I was surprised at how well the operation went. The Type 34 was junk. I paid
$750 for it about 4 years ago and hardly used a part off of it. That was back
in the days when I thought that anything "Type 34" was a great car. Three
floor pans were rusted out, it
had a radio, but I didn't bother with it. It was a 343, yellow, and the
brakes were bad.
I gave the engine away to Scott, my hand. Scott plans to put the engine in a
1968 bug, which is possible by changing out the oil cooler, putting an
upright oil filler on it,
and doing some other modest work on it. He'll have a VW 1500 engine, then.

I'm having problems with my next-door neighbor at the shop. I have let three
boys move 5 VWs in and take them apart and put them together again. I really
didn't want
this, but it snuck up on me. The neighbor runs a cleanup shop. He complained
to the
landlady, and she threatened to evict me. She told me that I had told her
that I was only going to store cars there, not to work on them. I told her
that my lease didn't say
anything about not working on the cars, but that I had arbitrarily decided on
minor VW repairs. Anyway, I still hafta cover that bridge.

So, the ole boy that ratted on me dropped by today and screamed, "What are
you doing?" (we were working behind the building, where we maybe shouldn't
have been, but then. everyone does it including him). I told him that we were
cutting up and old car to get rid of it. Then he hollered, "How ya gonna do
it with Volkswagens?"  I reminded him that we were going to use the VW bus,
which he had forgot about. Well, he traipsed off sorta sullen-like, and I
asked my hand if he was the one who had ratted on us. My hand said, "Yes!"
and that burned my ass.

I was in the space first, and until I let these boys go wild we got along
fine. About a month ago, however, I raised hell with his hands for parking in
our spaces so that we had none. Then, about a week ago, I caught his hands
filling our dumpster with his
trash bags, and I raised hell with them again and told them that this was our
dumpster and threw his bags out on the ground near his dumpster. His hands
don't realize that it costs me $55 per month if the dumpster is not
overflowing, but $75 per month if it is overflowing. We only use about 1/2
dumpster per month, but it is constantly overflowing if we don't say anything.

Anyhow, It looks like problems for me. I'm gonna try to get my landlady to
agree that
if I stay in the space with the doors closed, I can do whatever repairs are
needed.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com