Re: [T3] Cold Start Question?

On 19 Dec 2001, at 6:11, Pamela Peeples wrote:

> I'm not as technically knowledgeable as all the people in this group,
> but I will offer this, every time my cold star valve got plugged in
> (new mechanic didn't know NOT to plug it in), my car would flood.  My
> local VW awesome mechanic that I found 9 years ago told me I did not
> need it! He told me they very rarely work. It gets cold her, light
> snow and freezing temps but I still have never needed it.

I've owned and driven extensively every year of FI type 3 except '70.
In all that time I've never had any trouble with flooding EXCEPT for
the 68, which didn't have a CSV. Actually my 69 doesn't either. The
only change I strongly recommend that FI owners do is to change
your ECU if you have a 68-9 with an "A" brain. The B brain works
better and doesn't have the flooding problem that the A had.

If you have the habit of stomping up and down on the pedal a few
times before or while starting, this can also flood a 70-73 car. Don't
do this to your FI cars; it tends to be counterproductive. Leave that
to the actors on TV. (Professional driver, don't try this at home. ;-)

Our driving temps here range from -25F to over 100F, so I think that
covers it pretty well. I've already mentioned that the switch temp
varies over the years. For some years it was as low as 0F, so I
suspect that some people who think they have CSV problems have
never actually used their CSVs.

If you replace things on your FI you have to be careful. For
example, early 70 came with a C brain and later switched to the D
which was used thru 71. The D brains eventually superceeded the
Cs, but if you replace your C with a D, you are supposed to change
the temp switch, too. I suspect that lots of people never did this.

I realize that some of you, Russ included, prefer to just remove the
CSV, but I suspect that if you really find this to be necessary,
there is something else wrong. OTOH, if the simpler system works
just as well it's really hard to argue with this.

One thing I want to emphasize again is that the CSV absolutely
CANNOT make your engine run rich, as long as it is wired up
correctly. When correctly wired it can only be active when the
starter is running, never when the engine is running on its own.

OTOH, there are many things that can make your FI run rich, and
some of these, coupled with the CSV, could push your car over the
edge into flooding, but taking out the CSV only leaves your engine
running slightly rich ALL the time without curing that problem.

At the same time I must admit to having minimal experience in
cars with the CSV disabled, and I have always wondered if it was
really doing anything for me.