Re: [T3] Engine compartment needs a separate power feed?

On 17 Dec 2001, at 10:29, Erkson, Toby wrote:

> A while back my computerized COIL died (not points, coil!) again.  It had
> one lead going to the stock coil for triggering, one lead to ground and one
> lead to +12V.  Now, I had the +12V lead connected directly to my alternator
> because that line fed directly to the battery.
>
> I'm wondering if maybe this isn't a good idea?  Should I leave the
> alternator->battery feed line alone and route a separate power line from the
> battery to my engine compartment to feed accessories?

The only problem I see with this is that it leaves this unit powered
up ALL the time. The standard coil would have had a switched
power feed to it that should be perfect for this.

Why is the stock coil still there? Was this just forsight, for when
the fancy coil fails?  ;-)

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org