Re: [T3] 4-Way Flasher questions

On 17 Dec 2001, at 14:37, Cf Vw tuner wrote:

> Anyway...Here's my problem...The turnsignals flash.  When the key is
> on and I turn the emergency lights on, the relay just hums and buzzes.
>  When the Key is off, it does nothing. I keep looking at the wiring
> diagrams and I'm seeing one problem.... The wiring calls for the
> flasher to have a ground wire going to the emergency light
> switch...terminal 31. The the problem here is my emergency flasher
> light doesnt have a 31.  I think there is a 54 and a 54a.

The 68 originally had a black plastic box with 3 (3!) terminals. A
different box was introduced in 69 with a 4th ground terminal and
this is what is illustrated in the Bentley manual. The 68 wiring
diagram is the same as that shown in the Bentley manual for 68-9
except that you have to delete all the ground wires, they were
added in 69.

The 68 box got its ground via the mounting screw thru its center.
You can use the 4 term 69-70 box as a replacement, but you have
to make sure that it gets a ground somehow.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054