Re: [T3] Easy questions

I am astounded by Eric de Jong's Fastback's chassis number!!!

I am amazed!  *315 219 970* clearly is a July 1965 chassis
number (VIN), in  other words, within the 1965 model year -
not the 1966 model year.  yet, we all know that fastbacks were
introduced for the 1966 model year.

And, when I look at the official Volkswagen Type3 Parts List
in both hard copy paper form and on the ETKA CD-ROM, part
number 31A 800 001A "Body, bare, prime coated" is listed as
"from Chassis No. 316 000 001 for Type 312".

This tells us that a spare body for a Fastback is only available
for cars built after 01 August 1965 or the start of the 1966
model year.

VW must have produced fastbacks before they say they did.

Erik de Jong, has your car had a change of floopan?

Alternatively, I wonder what your car's "Typ nr" on the
vehicle identification plate says.  If it says just "31", this is
not of much help.  But, if it says "312", then that is total proof
that VW made Fastbacks before they say they did.

Simon Glen
Toowoomba, Australia.