From: Jim Adney [mailto:jadney@vwtype3.org]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 06:45 AM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Car sitting for years,clutch stuck

On 10 Dec 2001, at 9:20, Wuzmop@aol.com wrote:

> I tried both these options over the weekend. I could not get it to start
in 3rd
> gear. I did however hit the brakes with the starter turning in third and
no
> luck. Should I hit the brakes harder? I feel like I am abusing it already,
but
> if it will not hurt anything else maybe thats what I will do.

Try getting it started and warmed up in neutral, then shut it off and try
again
in 3rd (this is with the rear wheels jacked up, right?) Once you get it
going
well, rev it up a bit, hold the clutch down and quickly shift your right
foot from
the gas to the brake. Yes, you'll have to hit the brakes pretty hard, but
you
can then let up on them quickly so as not to kill the engine if the clutch
doesn't break loose. You are trying to build up angular monentum in the
engine and then stop the drive train, in the hope that the engine will keep
moving.

You can also try this in 4th, and it will give you just a bit more
advantage.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org