Re: [T3] Mysterious starting problem.

On 8 Dec 2001, at 14:32, Mike Wodkowski wrote:

> It was mentioned that the problem might be the temp sensor, so when it
> wouldn't start, I duly got out my VOM and could not figure out for the life
> of me what I was supposed to be connecting it to. Ground and what? I have no
> idea how to get to the sensor.
> Key on or key off?

Key off. Unplug the temp sensor wire; the in-line wire connector
body is part of the harness, so you pull the sensor wire out of the
plastic body. Then connect one lead of the ohmmeter to the sensor
wire and the other lead to engine ground. Read the resistance after
setting the ohmmeter to an ohms scale. You'll have to multiply the
reading by the multiplier for the scale setting that you are on.

> The temp sensor seal is a bit worn and cracked at the top, but otherwise
> intact if a brittle feeling. So stiff I was afraid to try to pry it off the
> cooling tin. And here's the kicker...let's say it IS the head temp sensor.
> Am I going to have to pull the engine to swap it out? That's going to be a
> REAL drag to have to do that this time of year. Please tell me there's some
> way to get to it if I pull off the valve cover.

That rubber boot is rather unimportant and will probably shatter if
you try to take it out, so don't do it unless you're sure of your
diagnosis. You'll need a special wrench to get this out. If it turns
out that this is your problem, I can send you a replacement sensor
and a loaner wrench.

I'm not convinced that the sensor is your problem, but I don't have
any better suggestions right now. Your relays click normally, right,
and you can hear the fuel pump running when you turn on the key?

I never had a problem like this with this engine and FI system when
I had it here, so I'm suspicious that it is due to some part that we
didn't transfer from my car to yours. OTOH, a long time has passed
since I actually drove that car, so any number of problems could
have developed.

> Finally again if it IS the temp sensor going on the fritz, I should find out
> where to get one before Keira and I start travelling for Xmas.

Maybe I should just ship you a "Care Package" soon, so you have
it when you need it. Want to send me your mailing address again?

> Been off the list the past week, literally working myself sick *sniffle*.

Get youself back in good health!  ;-)